Leek and Celery Stuffing
A Biggest Loser recipe for a Thanksgiving classic from Chef Curtis Stone is full of healthy vegetables.
Serving Size 1 cup
Total Fat 6g,
Sat Fat 1g,
Total Carb 33g,
Dietary Fiber 6g,
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, small dice
- 5 leeks (whites only), small dice
- 4 stalks celery, small dice
- 1 small dried chili, seeded and halved
- 1 small sprig rosemary
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped fine
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup / 240ml low sodium chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon chopped thyme
- 1 1/2 whole grain baguettes, cut into 1/2 inch cubes (19 oz ounces each)
- 1 tablespoon flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 egg, beaten
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium high heat for 1 minute.
- Sweat onions in olive oil for 2 to 3 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add leeks, celery, chili, and rosemary and cook for 4 minutes, stirring often.
- Add garlic and continue cooking until vegetables start to get a light golden color, about 5 minutes.
- Remove vegetables from pan, and deglaze pan with white wine.
- Add 1/2 cup oil, half of the thyme, chicken stock, and let reduce by half.
- Remove from heat, discard rosemary and chili from vegetables and allow liquid and vegetable mix to cool slightly.
- While cooling, cut the bread into 1/2 inch cubes.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine bread and leek mixture.
- Sprinkle in remaining thyme, parsley, and egg. Mix well.
- Slowly start drizzling in the liquid mixture and mix thoroughly, adding just enough liquid to moisten the bread.
- Once mixture is nice and moist, season to taste with pepper.
- Transfer stuffing to an oven safe dish and bake covered at 350F for 25 minutes.
- Remove cover from dish, and bake for an additional 10 to 15 minutes or until golden.
Source: Curtis Stone for Biggest Loser