Healthy Oatmeal Cookie Sandwiches
A healthy twist on oatmeal cream pie sandwiches.
Calories: 272; Total fat: 12 g; Saturated fat: 6.2 g; Sodium: 223 mg; Carbohydrates: 34.1 g; Dietary Fiber: 4.1 g; Sugar: 15 g; Protein: 5 g
Yield: 9 sandwiches
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour (or use 1/2 cup all purpose 1/2 cup whole wheat)
- ½ cup oat flour (ground from whole oats)
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- ½ tsp each baking soda and baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup raw or roasted pecans, loosely chopped
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup freshly grated carrot, patted dry
- 2 flax eggs (2 Tbsp flaxseed meal + 5 Tbsp water)
- ½ cup ripe mashed banana (about 1 small banana)
- 2 Tbsp butter (non-dairy for vegan), melted
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp unsweetened almond milk
- FOR FROSTING:
- 8 ounces light cream cheese (vegan cream cheese if making vegan), softened
- 3-6 Tbsp honey or agave nectar (depending on preferred sweetness)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, add 2 Tbsp flaxseed + 5 Tbsp water and whisk. Let set for a few minutes until thickened.
- Add mashed banana, melted butter (or coconut oil), grated carrot, brown sugar, vanilla, almond milk and stir. In a separate large bowl, mix all dry ingredients and the nuts.
- A little at a time, add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir. A fairly thick dough should form. Set in the fridge to firm up for 5-10 minutes.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or lightly grease with non-stick spray.
- Scoop large portions of batter ( about 1.5-2 Tbsp) out with two spoons and slightly flatten them. Be sure to set them at least 1 inch apart as they'll spread a little.
- Bake for 18-25 minutes or until edges begin to brown and the middle is just set.
- Once done, let rest on the baking sheet for 5 minutes, then cool for 20-30 more minutes on a cooling rack.
- Prepare cream cheese filling in the meantime by mixing softened cream cheese with desired amount of honey. To thicken, add a little all purpose flour or powdered sugar (optional).
- Once the cookies are completely cooled, sandwich two equal sized cookies together with a thick layer of filling in between. You will have leftover filling.
- Enjoy immediately, keep in a covered in the fridge for a few days, or freeze for later use.
photos by Dana Shultz