Barack Obama Pizza Burger
A Chicago pizzeria-style burger named for the Democratic presidential nominee.
Nutrition Facts: 1246 Calories, 88.5g Fat, 260mg Cholesterol, 1340mg Sodium, 53.6g Carbs, 2.1g Fiber, 4.7g Sugar, 60.6g Protein
Yield: Serves 6
- 1 head garlic
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon champagne vinegar
- Kosher salt
- 6 8-ounce Angus beef patties
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup marinara sauce, plus more for serving
- 12 thin slices fresh mozzarella cheese (about 8 ounces)
- 6 crusty rolls, such as ciabatta, kaiser or Portuguese, halved
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F
Make the Butter
- Remove the papery outer layer from the head of garlic and slice off the top to expose the cloves slightly.
- Wrap the garlic in foil and roast in the oven until soft, about 45 minutes.
- Cool slightly, then squeeze the roasted pulp into a bowl.
- Whip with the butter, parsley, vinegar and 1/2 teaspoon salt; set aside.
Make the Burgers
- Preheat a grill or grill pan to medium-high.
- Season the beef patties generously with salt and pepper and grill, about 3 minutes per side for medium-rare, turning once.
- Move the burgers to the cooler side of the grill (or reduce the heat on the stove) and top each with some marinara sauce and 2 slices cheese.
- Spread the cut sides of each roll with some of the garlic butter and place facedown on the grill.
- Cover and cook until the cheese melts and the buns are toasted, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Place a burger on each roll bottom; add some chopped basil and the roll top.
- Serve with more marinara sauce, if desired.
Learn to make this recipe healthier.
Source: Food Network