Paleo Mashed Cauliflower with Balsamic Caramelized Onions
A paleo friendly version of "mashed potatoes" with balsamic caramelized onions.Yield: 6-8 servings
- 1 medium size head of cauliflower
- 2 medium onions, sliced (about 3 cups)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup chicken stock (plus more for consistency)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- In a large pan over medium-low heat sauté onions and fresh thyme in olive oil for 10-12 minutes until soft, stirring frequently. Add 1/4 cup chicken stock and balsamic vinegar. Cover and cook additional 5-8 minutes until all liquid is evaporated and onions are caramelized. You may need to add a bit more stock and continue stirring to achieve desired consistency.
- Meanwhile, chop cauliflower into small florets and boil until soft (about 6 minutes).
- Transfer cauliflower to a food processor, add 1/4 cup chicken stock salt and pepper and puree until smooth.
- Serve mashed cauliflower topped with caramelized onions.
by Abra Pappa for Nutritious America