Paleo Country Curry
This curry combines flavors from Thailand and the American South to create a meal that's gluten-free and paleo.Yield:
- 2 to 3 tablespoons curry paste (red, green, panang, or Massaman are all great in this)
- 1 can coconut milk, DON’T SHAKE IT UP
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced (about 2 cloves)
- 2 onions, sliced
- 3 cups (750 mL) chicken broth
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 yellow squash, cut into chunks
- 1 pound (450 g) okra, pieces cut in half crosswise
- 2 or 3 Kaffir lime leaves
- 1 pound (450 g) smoked pork butt, shred-ded or chopped
- 1 pound (450 g) andouille sausage, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup (12 g) Thai basil leaves
- 10 Thai peppers (optional)
- 4 cups (1 kg) cauliflower rice
- Heat curry paste in large Dutch oven until it begins to darken and becomes very fragrant.
- Add 1⁄2 can of coconut milk (should be mostly the thick milk from the top of the can). Incorporate well into the curry paste.
- When lumps are gone, add garlic and onions and the remaining coconut milk. Stir well and cook until onions soften.
- Add chicken broth, peppers, squash, okra, and Kaffir leaves to pot and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Cut/shred your pork into large chunks and add to pot along with your basil and sausage. If you want it “Thai Hot,” dice up 1⁄2 of your Thai peppers and add them.
- Simmer for another 20–30 minutes or until okra is tender.
- Serve over cauliflower rice and garnish with remaining Thai peppers.
Source: Paleo Comfort Foods with permission of Julie and Charles Mayfield