Featured Blog Posts
Meyer Lemon Poppy Seed Pancakes
Fluffy, sweet pancakes made with meyer lemons and poppy seeds.
Per three pancakes with glaze: 212 calories, 6 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 121 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrates, 3 g fiber, 7 g sugar, 7 g proteinYield: 12 small pancakes
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 Tbsp Truvia or 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- pinch salt
- 1 cup low fat buttermilk (or sub milk + 1 tsp white vinegar or lemon juice)
- 1 medium egg
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- juice of two meyer lemons (about 2 Tbsp)
- 1 Tbsp meyer lemon zest
- 1 Tbsp canola oil (or sub melted butter)
- 1 heaping Tbsp poppy seeds
- Meyer Lemon Glaze (optional)
- 3 Tbsp powdered sugar
- splash milk
- 1 Tbsp meyer lemon juice
- Preheat electric skillet to 350 degrees F, or heat skillet over medium heat on the stove top.
- Add flour, salt, Truvia, baking soda, and baking powder to large bowl and mix.
- Combine egg, oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, vanilla and buttermilk in a separate bowl and whisk vigorously to combine.
- Add wet to dry and stir until just combined; a few lumps are OK. Do not overmix.
- Add poppy seeds and stir just slightly to incorporate, then let batter rest for 5 minutes.
- In the meantime, prepare glaze by combining powdered sugar, milk and lemon juice in a small dish and whisking to combine. Set aside.
- Once skillet is hot, coat lightly with non-stick cooking spray and spoon on scant 1/4 cup measurements of pancake batter. Cook until bubbles appear on top and the edges start to dry, being careful not to burn. They should be light-golden brown. Flip and cook for one to two minutes more on other side.
- Serve immediately with butter, maple syrup OR meyer lemon glaze.
recipe and photos by Dana Shultz