Mexican Turkey Burgers
A bold and spicy way to enjoy these leaner burgers from The Biggest Loser 6 Weeks to a Healthier You
- 1 (20-ounce) package extra-lean ground turkey breast
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- ¼ cup diced red onion
- ¼ cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/3 cup diced fresh mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon Mexican seasoning or fajita seasoning
- ¼ cup low-fat Mexican-blend cheese
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 6 whole grain buns or Arnold Sandwich Thins
- 6 tablespoons salsa
- 1 ½ medium avocados, peeled, pitted, and thinly sliced
- 6 tablespoons fat-free Greek-style yogurt
In a large mixing bowl, combine the turkey, cilantro, onion, bell pepper, mushrooms, seasoning, cheese, and garlic. There will about 24 ounces (1 ½ pounds) of mixture, or 4 cups. Divide into 6 (4-ounce) patties.
Grill the burgers for 3 minutes on each side, or until the inside is no longer pink. Serve on whole grain buns or Sandwich Thins topped with salsa, avocado, and yogurt (instead of sour cream).
Source: From The Biggest Loser: 6 Weeks to a Healthier You by Cheryl Forberg, RD, Melissa Roberson, Lisa Wheeler, and the Biggest Loser Experts and Cast. Copyright (c) 2010 by Universal City Studios Productions, LLP, Inc. Permission granted by Rodale, Inc., Emmaus, PA 18098. Available wherever books are sold.