Ditch your old nachos for this healthier option.
Yield: Serves 6
- 1 lb. 90% lean ground beef or ground chicken or turkey
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups cooked rice (cooked without salt or fat)
- 1/4 cup sliced ripe olives
- 1- 28 oz. can tomatoes, undrained and chopped
- 1- 4 1/2 oz. can chopped green chiles, undrained
- 1- 1 1/4 oz. package low-sodium taco seasoning mix
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 3/4 cup reduced-fat Monterey jack cheese
- In a nonstick skillet coated with nonstick spray, cook first 3 ingredients in a large skillet over medium-high heat until meat is browned, stirring until it crumbles
- Drain and return to skillet
- Stir in rice and next 4 ingredients
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Then, stir in cilantro.
- Spoon mixture into a 2-quart baking dish coated with cooking spray
- If making ahead, cover and refrigerate up to 1 day. If baking immediately, bake uncovered in a 350 F oven 20 minutes or until bubbly. (Increase cooking time to 30 minutes if baking from refrigerated state.)
- Sprinkle with cheese and bake 5 minutes until cheese melts.
Recipe reviewed and nutritional analysis completed by Terry Grieco Kenny for DietsInReview.com