Leek and Celery Stuffing
A Biggest Loser recipe for a Thanksgiving classic from Chef Curtis Stone is full of healthy vegetables.
Calories 230, Total Fat 6g, Sat Fat 1g, Cholesterol 20mg, Sodium 340mg, Total Carb 33g, Dietary Fiber 6g, Sugar 6g, Protein 10g
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, small dice
- 5 leeks (whites only), small dice
- 4 stalks celery, small dice
- 1 small dried chili, seeded and halved
- 1 small sprig rosemary
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped fine
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup / 240ml low sodium chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon chopped thyme
- 1 1/2 whole grain baguettes, cut into 1/2 inch cubes (19 oz ounces each)
- 1 tablespoon flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 egg, beaten
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium high heat for 1 minute.
- Sweat onions in olive oil for 2 to 3 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add leeks, celery, chili, and rosemary and cook for 4 minutes, stirring often.
- Add garlic and continue cooking until vegetables start to get a light golden color, about 5 minutes.
- Remove vegetables from pan, and deglaze pan with white wine.
- Add 1/2 cup oil, half of the thyme, chicken stock, and let reduce by half.
- Remove from heat, discard rosemary and chili from vegetables and allow liquid and vegetable mix to cool slightly.
- While cooling, cut the bread into 1/2 inch cubes.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine bread and leek mixture.
- Sprinkle in remaining thyme, parsley, and egg. Mix well.
- Slowly start drizzling in the liquid mixture and mix thoroughly, adding just enough liquid to moisten the bread.
- Once mixture is nice and moist, season to taste with pepper.
- Transfer stuffing to an oven safe dish and bake covered at 350F for 25 minutes.
- Remove cover from dish, and bake for an additional 10 to 15 minutes or until golden.
Source: Curtis Stone for Biggest Loser