The 400 Calorie Fix replaces high-fat ingredients with beaten egg whites for this favorite Italian dessert.
Yield: Serves 12
This dessert tastes so good that it's hard to believe there's room for a light meal without topping 400 calories. Don't be put off by the beating of the egg whites. The resulting creaminess allowed us to cut way back on high-fat ingredients.
- 3 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup mascarpone cheese
- 1/2 cup 2% Greek yogurt
- 4 ounces Neufchatel cheese, at room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup strong espresso
- 22 ladyfingers
- 1 teaspoon Hershey's Special Dark cocoa powder
- BRING about 2" of water to a simmer in a medium pot or double boiler. Combine the egg whites, sugar, cold water, and cream of tartar in a medium heatproof bowl that will fit over the pot or in the top of the double boiler. Place the bowl over the pot or double boiler. Beat for 4 minutes using an electric mixer on low speed. Increase the speed to high and beat for 4 minutes longer, or until very thick. Remove the bowl from the pot or double boiler. Beat for another 4 minutes, or until the mixture is very light and fluffy.
- PLACE the mascarpone, yogurt, Neufchatel, and vanilla extract in a large bowl. Using the same beaters, beat until creamy. Add 1 cup of the egg-white mixture and beat until smooth. Gradually fold in the remaining egg-white mixture.
- POUR the espresso into a shallow bowl. Dip 7 ladyfingers in the espresso and arrange at the bottom of a 2 1/2-quart square baking dish. Top with one-third of the mascarpone mixture. Repeat twice, ending with a layer of mascarpone. Break the extra ladyfinger into pieces to fill in any holes in the top ladyfinger layer. Dust with the cocoa powder. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours and up to 3 days before serving.
Source: Used with Permission From 400 Calorie Fix © by Liz Vaccariello, Editor-in-Chief of Prevention, with Mindy Hermann, RD. Used with permission from Rodale, Inc. Visit 400 Calorie Fix. Photo: Ted Morrison