The classic winter beverage made healthier by Cheryl Forberg.
Delicious hot or cold, this takes just minutes to make. Store leftovers in the fridge for up to two days. Chilled chocolate milk is a great base for a post-workout smoothie. Just add a frozen banana and a dollop of vanilla yogurt for a thick and frosty treat. - Cheryl Forberg, RD
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened natural cocoa powder
- 4 cups fat-free milk
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup agave nectar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Place the cocoa in a 2-quart saucepan.
- Add about 1⁄2 cup of the milk to make a smooth paste. Stir well to remove all lumps.
- Gradually whisk in the water, agave, and the remaining milk. Place over medium-high heat and bring just to a simmer; do not boil.
- Stir in the vanilla extract.
COCOA FACTOID: Unsweetened cocoa powder’s high starch content makes it difficult to dissolve in liquid. To prevent lumps from forming, use cold liquid, which can help separate the starch particles.
Source: Positively Ageless: A 28-Day Plan for a Younger Slimmer Sexier You by Cheryl Forberg, RD (Rodale ) (with permission)