Healthier Thanksgiving Stuffing
A lightened up version of stuffing with whole grain bread, fresh cranberries and turkey sausage.
18 serving; per serving: 147 calories, 4 g fat, 1.2 g saturated fat, 596 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrates, 3 g fiber, 5 g sugar, 9.6 g protein
Yield: 18 servings
- 2 bags whole grain bread, cut into cubes
- 4-6 cups veggie broth (will depend on your bread)
- 1 lb. (1 roll) italian turkey sausage
- 1/2 bag fresh cranberries, roughly chopped
- 2 Tbsp sugar (optional)
- 4-5 stalks celery
- 1 large sweet onion
- 1/3 cup pure orange juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp fresh or dried sage
- Place bread cubes in a large bowl to allow to dry. Turn frequently while prepping the other ingredients.
- In the meantime, brown and crumble sausage in a large skillet and remove from pan when browned.
- While sausage is browning, dice onion and celery and add to the pan after removing sausage (add olive oil if the pan is dry). Cook veggies about 10 minutes until soft but not browned. Remove from pan.
- Add cranberries to the same pan with orange juice and simmer until plumped up. Add sugar at this point if you prefer a sweeter cranberry (we did).
- Add cooked onions and celery back to the pan and season with salt, pepper and sage. Continue to simmer.
- Add cooked sausage to the bowl of bread cubes and mix it in well. Then add the veggies and cranberries and mix well. 7. Slowly pour in the broth and mix until it seems wet enough - about 5-6 cups.
- Transfer to a lightly greased large baking pan or two 9 x 13 pans and cover with foil.
- Set aside until about 1 hour before serving. Preheat oven to 375 degrees and bake for 45 minutes covered, and then uncovered for the last 15 minutes of cooking to brown the top. (Adjust cooking time accordingly if using one large pan as opposed to two as the cooking time may vary). Serve warm and then store covered in the refrigerator for up to several days.