Featured Blog Posts
Farfel with Onions and Mushrooms
A delicious whole grain dish, traditional for PassoverYield: Serves 8
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 pound mushrooms, Portobello or domestic, diced
- 1 pound box Osem whole wheat farfel
- 5 cups hot water (tap water OK)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon dry thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat half the oil in a large skillet. Add the onion and cook on a medium flame, stirring occasionally, until nice and dark. Transfer to a bowl.
- Heat the remaining oil in the same skillet, and sauté the mushrooms until all liquids evaporate. Transfer to another bowl.
- In the same skillet, stir the farfel with 2 wooden spoons for about 2 minutes on a medium flame until fragrant. Add the water and seasonings, stirring to combine.
- Cover and cook 5 more minutes. Stir in the reserved onions and mushrooms.