Egg in an Avocado
A heart-healthy treat for breakfast or brunch.Yield: 2 servings
This dish makes a healthy treat for breakfast or brunch. And it's kid-, Easter- and vegetarian-friendly.
- 1 avocado
- 2 small eggs
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place oven-safe cast iron or non-stick skillet on middle shelf.
- Cut avocado in half, remove the pit, and use a spoon to scoop out a little bit more of the avocado to make room for the egg.
- Once oven is preheated, carefully remove skillet, place avocado halves flesh-side up in the middle of pan, and crack eggs into the hole. If a little spills over, that's fine. Season with salt and pepper.
- Put pan back in oven and bake for 10-15 minutes, depending on how done you want your yolk.
- Once the egg is cooked, serve warm alongside toast or a whole wheat tortilla and salsa.
Tip: to speed cooking time, place ove-safe lid on skillet.
Total Preparation and Cooking Time: 20 minutes