Easy Sofrito Sauce
This sauce, featured in Cheryl Forberg's cookbook Flavor First is great on eggs dishes like Huevos Sofrito, and can also top pasta or enchiladas.
Yield: 2 cups
- 1 red bell pepper, roasted and peeled
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup canned no-salt-added fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup fat-free, low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup packed cilantro sprigs
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped chipotle chiles
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
Combine the roasted pepper, onion, tomatoes, broth, cilantro, garlic, oregano, cumin, smoked paprika, and chipotle puree (if using) in a blender or food processor and puree until smooth.
Transfer the mixture to a skillet and simmer, stirring, for 3 minutes, or until the vegetables are softened and the mixture is fragrant.
Season with salt and black pepper. Use immediately or refrigerate for 3 or 4 days.
Featured in Cheryl Foberg's cookbook [Flavor First!] Courtesy of Cheryl Foberg, RD.