Featured Blog Posts
Easy Sofrito Sauce
This sauce, featured in Cheryl Forberg's cookbook Flavor First is great on eggs dishes like Huevos Sofrito, and can also top pasta or enchiladas.
Per 1/2 cup: 30 calories, 0 g total fat (0 g saturated), 0 mg cholesterol, 130 mg sodium, 6 g total carbohydrates (3 g sugars), 1 g fiber, 1 g proteinYield: 2 cups
- 1 red bell pepper, roasted and peeled
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup canned no-salt-added fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup fat-free, low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup packed cilantro sprigs
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped chipotle chiles
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
Combine the roasted pepper, onion, tomatoes, broth, cilantro, garlic, oregano, cumin, smoked paprika, and chipotle puree (if using) in a blender or food processor and puree until smooth.
Transfer the mixture to a skillet and simmer, stirring, for 3 minutes, or until the vegetables are softened and the mixture is fragrant.
Season with salt and black pepper. Use immediately or refrigerate for 3 or 4 days.
Featured in Cheryl Foberg's cookbook [Flavor First!] Courtesy of Cheryl Foberg, RD.