Dark Chocolate Brownies
Dark chocolate vegan brownies are a healthier-for-you dessert
Yield: 12 brownies
- 2 flax eggs (2 Tbsp flaxseed meal + 4 Tbsp water)
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp coconut or canola oil
- 1/2 cup semisweet or dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup agave nectar (or maple syrup)
- 1/3 cup almond or coconut milk
- 1/4 cup walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray oil into a 9×9 pan.
- Prepare flax eggs by combining flaxseed meal and water in small bowl, stirring and setting aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flours, baking soda, salt and cocoa powder.
- Bring 1-2 inches of water to a simmer in a small saucepan. 5. Place ceramic bowl over to create a double boiler, and place chocolate chips and oil in and whisk until fully melted.
- Remove from heat and add flax eggs, milk, vanilla, agave nectar and stir.
- Add wet to dry ingredients and stir until just combined with a rubber spatula or spoon.
- Transfer to baking dish, lay walnuts on top, and bake for 28-32 minutes – a toothpick should come out clean. Let cool completely before cutting.