Cranberry Orange Oatmeal Cookies
A guiltless dessert full of bright flavors.
Yield: 5 dozen
- 1 cup softened unsalted butter
- 2 cups light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 Tbsp. milk
- 2 tsp. orange zest
- 1 tsp. pure orange extract
- 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (or whole grain flour)
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 2 cups dried cranberries (use sugar-free for less calories)
- 2/3 cup chopped pecans (optional)
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Cream together butter and brown sugar in a large bowl. Beat in eggs one at a time until well mixed. Add zest and extracts and mix well.
In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and salt. Stir in oats, then add to butter mixture and mix well.
Fold in cranberries and pecans (if desired). Drop by the teaspoonful 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until the edges just start to turn golden brown.
Let the cookies cool on the sheets for 4 minutes, then remove to wire racks to finish cooling. Store in an airtight container or freeze.