Chopped Broccoli with Pine Nuts
A side dish from Bob Harper's vegan dinner.
Yield: Serves 4
- 1 large stalk of organic broccoli (florets and stem cut into uniform pieces)
- 3 Tablespoons of pine nuts (toasted)
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves smashed and skinned
- 1 large shallot sliced
- 1 tsp. of red pepper flakes (less if you don't like spicy)
- 1 tsp. of chopped and grated lemon zest
- Salt and pepper
- Heat a large pot with olive oil, add the pepper flakes, garlic, shallot, and season with salt and pepper. Once the garlic and shallot are "soft" add the portioned broccoli. Stir until evenly coated.
- Add ½ a cup of water and put a lid on the pot. Cook the broccoli until the water evaporates and the broccoli is tender, about 6-8 minutes.
- Once water is evaporated add the toasted pine nuts and lemon zest.
- With an old school potato masher "mash" the broccoli.
You can also use a Cuisinart with the blade attachment, it will only take a few pulses or you can use a food mill. Note don't put into a blender! Enjoy!
Source: with permission from Brooke Larson
Recipe edited by Terry Grieco Kenny for DietsInReview.com