Chocolate Chocolate Cake
Any chocolate lover can indulge in this treat without feeling any guilt, thanks to the 400 Calorie Fix.
Yield: Serves 16
Dark cocoa powder adds extra chocolate flavor to this moist cake. Avoid overmixing the batter -- lower-fat cakes get spongy if they're stirred too much.
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened dark cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon Confectioners' sugar (optional)
- PREHEAT the oven to 350°F. Coat a 9" x 9" baking pan with cooking spray.
- COMBINE the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, and baking soda in a large bowl. Whisk together the buttermilk, butter, eggs, and vanilla extract in a medium bowl. Add to the flour mixture and stir to combine thoroughly without overmixing. Fold in the chocolate chips. Pour into the prepared pan.
- BAKE for 25 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan on a rack. When cool, dust the top with the confectioners' sugar, if using.
Source: Used with Permission From 400 Calorie Fix © by Liz Vaccariello, Editor-in-Chief of Prevention, with Mindy Hermann, RD. Used with permission from Rodale, Inc. Visit 400 Calorie Fix. Photo: Ted Morrison