Chocolate Chocolate Cake
Any chocolate lover can indulge in this treat without feeling any guilt, thanks to the 400 Calorie Fix.
Dark cocoa powder adds extra chocolate flavor to this moist cake. Avoid overmixing the batter -- lower-fat cakes get spongy if they're stirred too much.
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened dark cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon Confectioners' sugar (optional)
- PREHEAT the oven to 350°F. Coat a 9" x 9" baking pan with cooking spray.
- COMBINE the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, and baking soda in a large bowl. Whisk together the buttermilk, butter, eggs, and vanilla extract in a medium bowl. Add to the flour mixture and stir to combine thoroughly without overmixing. Fold in the chocolate chips. Pour into the prepared pan.
- BAKE for 25 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan on a rack. When cool, dust the top with the confectioners' sugar, if using.
Source: Used with Permission From 400 Calorie Fix © by Liz Vaccariello, Editor-in-Chief of Prevention, with Mindy Hermann, RD. Used with permission from Rodale, Inc. Visit 400 Calorie Fix. Photo: Ted Morrison