Featured Blog Posts
Chocolate Beet Coconut Cake with Chocolate Icing
Beets make this a dense, moist, and deliciously funky cakeYield: Serves 16
Cake: - 4 egg whites - Good pinch salt - 1 1/2 cups sugar - 4 egg yolks - 1 cup vegetable oil - 3 cups natural canned beets, drained, juice reserved, mashed with a potato masher - 2 cups Osem Matza Cake Meal - 1 tablespoon baking powder - 1 cup juice from the canned beets (add a little water to complete 1 cup if necessary) - 1 cup cocoa powder - 1 1/2 cups unsweetened grated coconut, packed
Icing: - 1 cup real semisweet chocolate chips - 1 tablespoon oil
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Make the cake: With an electric mixer, whip the egg whites and salt at high speed until soft peaks form. Add the sugar gradually and whip until stiff.
- Switch to low speed and, allowing only enough time to combine the ingredients, beat in one ingredient at a time for just a few seconds—the yolks, then the oil, etc., until all ingredients are incorporated.
- Pour the batter into a greased tube pan or a 10-inch round pan or 11-by-14-inch pan, and bake for 1 hour or until the point of a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Make the icing: Melt the chocolate chips with the oil on a very low flame until melted (microwave OK).
- Drizzle slowly and steadily over the cake until the whole top of the cake is covered. Let the cake cool.