Cabernet Basil Pizza Sauce
This simple pizza sauce makes homemade pizza healthier!Yield: Serves 6
- 1/3 cup cabernet sauvignon
- 14.5 ounce canned tomatoes (preferably San Marzano tomatoes)
- 1 ounce fresh basil (or more to taste)
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, chopped
- Pinch or two Kosher salt
- Cracked black pepper
Heat the olive oil in a pan and add the chopped onions. After a few minutes, when they start to turn opaque or slightly start browning, add the chopped garlic.
Add the can of tomatoes, wine, salt, pepper and stir well. Let this simmer until it starts to thicken, then add finely chopped basil.
Pour the sauce in to a glass blender, puree for a few seconds.
Serve on top of your choice of pizza crust.
Source: Brandi Koskie