Blueberry Ricotta Pancakes
A deliciously filling breakfast from The New Sonoma Diet.
- ½ cup buttermilk
- ¾ low–fat ricotta cheese
- ¼ cup applesauce
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- ¼ cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- ½ cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pinch of salt
- 2 egg whites
- 1 ½ cup blueberries
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Preheat pancake griddle over medium heat.
- Combine the buttermilk, ricotta cheese, applesauce, vanilla, and zest in a bowl. Mix well.
- In another bowl, combine flours, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Mix well.
- Gently incorporate the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Mix just enough to combine. Beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Add to pancake mixture. Gently fold blueberries into the pancake mixture. Overmixing will make the pancake tough.
- Lightly spray the pancake griddle. Pour ¼ pancake batter on griddle, 1/4 “ thick. Let cook until golden brown and the edges start to set. Flip and cook on the other side.
From The New Sonoma Diet © by Connie Guttersen RD, PhD. Used with permission from Sterling Publishing Co., Inc.