A controversial diet that calls for hormone injections.Top Rated Diet Pills of 2016
- Established: 1950s
- Founder: Dr. A.T.W. Simeons
- Accessibility: Injections and drops
- Diet Type: Extremely low calorie along with hCG drops or injections
- Gender: Male and female
- Celebrity Endorsements: Snookie (Jersey Shore), Jenni Farley, Britney Spears
Do You Know the Best Diet Pills of 2016?
See our interview: hCG Diet Reviewed by FullBar's Dr. Michael Snyder
A potential diet supplement administered through injections or oral drops, the hCG Diet is a very controversial weight loss method. HCG stands for the hormone Human Choriogonadotropin, which is the same hormone that is produced by women in their early stages of pregnancy.
During pregnancy, the surge of this hormone signals the hypothalamus in the brain to start moving nutrients and fat into the placenta. When used as part of a weight loss program, it is the fat-mobilization aspects of the hormone that has garnered attention for its seeming ability to help facilitate weight loss.
Even though the FDA has approved hCG shots for fertility reasons, there is no scientific evidence that shows the hCG Diet can significantly promote weight loss. Although it is used in conjunction with a very low calorie diet, any weight loss that occurs is likely to be due to the reduced caloric intake rather than the hCG shots or drops themselves.
Many side effects have been shown in those who take hCG shots for weight loss. Blood clots, depression, headaches and ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome in women have all been cited as common, and even deadly, side effects associated with hCG use. HCG drops avoid the inconveniences of a daily injection, but no clinical studies have been conducted to determine if hCG drops have any change in side effects.
Typically, the hCG Diet lasts for three weeks and is monitored by a health professional.PRO
- May promote weight loss when used in combination with a reduced calorie diet
- Not considered safe
- Weight loss is more likely to due to extremely restricted caloric intake rather than injections or drops
- Weight loss is temporary
- Side effects can be very serious. According to the Mayo Clinic, side affects associated with hCG include fatigue, irritability, headache and male breast enlargement.
hCG injections and drops contain the hormone Human Choriogonadotropin.ADMINISTRATION
An injection of 125 iu of hCG is administered daily or a daily dose of oral drops.DIET and EXERCISE
Those who use hCG injections to lose weight must also follow a very strict diet that amounts to no more than 500 calories a day.
For the first two days of the injection you are allowed to eat excessively. Following the third injection, you must adhere to the 500-calorie diet until 72 hours following the last injection given. Sugars, very sweet fruits, processed foods and heavy starches are not allowed.
An hCG Diet protocol outlined by advocate Dr. A.T.W. Simeons looks like this:
- Breakfast: Coffee or tea with artificial sweetener and one tablespoon of milk. Lunch is 100 grams of lean meat, poultry or fish in addition to one low-glycemic vegetable like spinach, celery, cucumbers or cabbage. One Melba toast and one fruit like half of a grapefruit or an apple is also allowed.
- Dinner is the same as lunch.
In addition, shots of apple cider vinegar can be taken as a daily supplement. Products and make-up that contain any fatty substances like mineral oil or almond oil cannot be used.
Websites dedicated to promoting the hCG Diet contain recipes and additional protocol information and tips.CONCLUSION
The hCG Diet is highly regimented and a very controversial weight loss program that involves the administration of either hormone injections or oral drops coupled with a very low-calorie diet. Popular amongst steroid users and those daring and desperate to lose weight quickly, the hCG Diet is not a weight loss program that is readily endorsed by health and medical professionals for its obvious flaws and real risks for dangerous side effects.Common Misspellings
HCG, hgc diet, hormone diet, pregnancy hormone diet, hcg injection diet, Human Choriogonadotropin dietHow Does hCG Diet Compare?
Featured Diets and Supplements
Related Diets: Calorie Restriction Diet , The Pregnancy Diet, Apple Cider Vinegar Diet, hCG Ultra Diet Drops, Your HCG, HCG Diet Made Simple, HCG Easy Gourmet Diet Cookbook, HCG Guide, HCG Safe Start Method