South Beach Diet Supercharged
Take this popular low carb diet to the next level.
The South Beach Diet has just gotten a makeover. The new and improved South Beach Diet is encapsulated in the book [The South Beach Diet Supercharged]: Faster Weight Loss and Better Health for Life. South Beach Diet mastermind and leading cardiologist, Dr. Agatston, is now helping Americans make smarter changes in the way they eat and exercise so that they will lead healthier, fit and longer lives. In addition to his trademark eating plan, he and exercise physiologist, Dr. Signorile, have created a three-phased workout regimen that mirrors Phase 1, 2 and 3 of the South Beach Diet. New meal plans, expanded recipes, the latest on nutrition research and inspiring South Beach Diet success stories are also part of this Supercharged plan.
This expanded version contains a more flexible eating plan and a new exercise plan that is designed to supercharge your metabolism and shed pounds.
- The South Beach Diet Supercharged emphasizes clean and wholesome eating
- Encourages interval exercising, which is effective and time-efficient
- Includes practical tips and resources for cooking and preparing meals, going out to dinner and exercising.
- Includes more vegetarian-friendly recipes and 40 new recipes
- Named #5 in the Best Commercial Diets by US News, 2011
- The South Beach Diet Supercharged includes some inaccurate nutrition assertions
- Many of the South Beach Diet already-prepared foods contain artificial sugars which can have a laxative effect
If you're already familiar with the South Beach Diet then you'll be delighted at the newly expanded food selections, which include 40 new recipes and two full weeks of all-new meal plans for Phase 1 and 2.
The overall plan of the South Beach Diet has not changed with this updated version. The emphasis on lean proteins, low-starch veggies, and low-fat dairy still comprises the crux of this diet.
Similar to the initial South Beach Diet, you will eat three meals a day and small snacks when needed. The plan is also split into its two trademark phases. Phase 1 is the stricter phase, allowing you to only eat low glycemic veggies, lean proteins and small amounts of fat. Phase 1, which lasts two weeks, is followed by Phase 2, which adds a bit more leniency to what you can eat. Whole grains, fruit and alcohol are allowed in addition to all of the foods in Phase 1, but only in moderation.
Phase 1 of Supercharged includes more meat, poultry, vegetables, beverages, desserts, soy foods, legumes, healthy fats, and prepared foods. Phase 2 includes everything in Phase 1, plus more fruits, starches, and a little alcohol.
Even if you're a vegetarian or a picky eater, you can customize your own meatless menu. Below is a snapshot of meals you can eat during each phase of the program:
- Breakfast: 6 ounces tomato juice; 1 poached egg with smoked salmon; ½ cup of spinach cooked in olive oil
- AM Snack: Celery with low-fat cheese spread
- Lunch: Tossed salad with romaine lettuce, smoked chicken, 1/3 small avocado, tomatoes, onion and cooked turkey bacon; 2 tablespoons low-sugar salad dressing
- PM Snack: ½ cup shelled edamame with sea salt
- Dinner: Roasted rotisserie chicken; tossed salad with mixed greens, chopped cucumber and cherry tomatoes; roasted artichoke hearts cooked with olive oil and black pepper
- Dessert: Vanilla chill, with sprinkle of cinnamon, blended until frothy (recipe included in book)
- Breakfast: 6 ounces tomato juice; 4 ounces artificially sweetened fat-free or low-fat yogurt; Irish oatmeal with cinnamon and walnuts; coffee or tea with 1% or fat-free milk and sugar substitute
- AM Snack: ¾ cup strawberries and latte with fat-free milk
- Lunch: Thai Shrimp Soup; tossed salad with mixed greens, chopped cucumber and cherry tomatoes; 2 tablespoons Lemony Dill Dressing or low-sugar prepared dressing of choice
- PM Snack: 1 hardboiled egg with bell pepper strips
- Dinner: London broil with fresh mushrooms cooked in beef stock with herbs of choice; roasted asparagus with minced shallots; Cannellini Bean Mash
- Dessert: Chocolate mousse
- Breakfast: ½ grapefruit; 2 scrambled eggs with cheese and salsa; 1 slice whole grain toast; coffee with 1% or fat-free milk and sugar substitute
- Lunch: Roast beef wrap; 1 nectarine
- Dinner: Grilled salmon with salsa; tossed salad with mixed greens, chopped cucumber and cherry tomatoes; 2 tablespoons Lemony Dill Dressing or low-sugar prepared dressing of choice
- Dessert: Chocolate-dipped apricots
The South Beach Diet Supercharged exercise program combines both high intensity and low intensity interval exercise focusing on a 10-week walking program. In addition, there are 27 strengthening and toning exercises that help you build muscle and develop a more defined look. The exercise section comes with photos and instructions.
The newly-devised exercises are intended to be done on most days of the week. They are a 20-minute daily investment on your part. Accompanying the book, the South Beach DVD, can also be purchased.CONCLUSION
Maybe it's part genius marketing and part sound nutrition, but many people have had luck losing weight with the South Beach Diet. Its new supercharged version is updated with new meals, information and an exercise plan, a key component of any weight loss regimen that was missing in the previous South Beach Diet editions. Its emphasis on arming you with information on how to make longstanding behavioral changes when it comes to eating and exercise is the mark of any successful healthy lifestyle plan that keeps you fit for the long run.Common Misspellings
South Beach Diet Super Charged, South Beach Diet Superchargd, south beach diet, south beach book, southbeach dietLearn More in the Slideshow