If you’ve ever trained for a foot race, chances are you’ve used some sort of training guide. And chances are that guide has had certain days assigned as “tempo run” days. It’s possible that this term just gets overlooked, and runners never fully learn about tempo running.
For experienced and new runners alike, the tempo run assignment can be a confusing thing. What does it mean to run a tempo run? Why do I have to do it? Is there really any benefit in doing it? These are all valid questions that even I, a seasoned runner, ask. Instead of asking the questions out into the void, or spending hours weeding through all the opinions online, I went to a trusted source: a running coach.
Scott Hill is a talented runner who coaches for The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society’s Team in Training organization. He’s coached many runners through marathons and ultra marathons along with being a phenomenal endurance racer himself.
September is one of the best months to schedule a marathon because of its decent yet cooler weather and the hustle and bustle of summer begins to finally wind down. Check below to find a marathon location near you. Good luck and train hard!
September 2011 Marathons:
August is a great time of year to run a marathon in most parts of the country. The majority of marathons are scheduled to begin early in the morning so the heat shouldn’t be unbearable. See below for a few of the best marathons in the month of Augusta near you!
Grizzly Marathon: These marathon, half marathon, 10K, 5K, and kids 5K races are held in Choteau, Montana on August 6, 2011. Choteau is located in northwestern Montana and should be one amazing marathon experience. The marathon is scheduled to start at 5 A.M. for the marathon walkers and 6 A.M. for the regular marathon and half marathon participants. Each marathon participant will receive a finishers medal, a beanie, and t-shirt. Be sure to attend the huge expo before the race for new fitness tips plus some of the top 2011 gear.
The month of June is rapidly approaching and if you have not scheduled your June marathon, you need to do so as soon as possible. Check the list below for the marathon closest to you!
Top Marathons In June 2011:
- Casper Wyoming Marathon: This marathon, half marathon, and marathon relay are held in the amazing city of Casper, Wyoming on Sunday June 5, 2011. The marathon takes place at over 5,000 feet above sea level (comparable to Denver), so prepare for that. For more information, please visit: www.runwyoming.com.
- Lake Placid Marathon: This race takes place in Lake Placid, New York on Sunday June 12, 2011. This marathon is ranked the #2 “best destination” race in the nation. The race is scheduled to start at 8 A.M., so please follow the link for more details: www.LakePlacidMarathon.com.
I know it seems like along way off, but if you have never run a marathon, or even a half, you want to sign up for one a few months in advance to give yourself enough time to train. May is a great month to schedule a marathon due to the normally nice Spring weather, which is perfect for first time runners. Below is a list of the top marathons in May around the country.
- Oklahoma City Memorial Marathon: Held in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma on Sunday May 1, 2011, this marathon, half marathon, marathon relay, and 5k walk is one not to be missed if you are located in or around the Midwest. Registration dues for the marathon are $90.
- OC Marathon: This race is held in Newport Beach, California on Sunday May 1, 2011. The marathon is scheduled to start at 6 A.M. and the course travels through the beautiful coastal communities.
If you’ve ever wished you could run a marathon but can’t envision leaving the couch to run five miles – let alone 26 – then it might be time to outsource inspiration. Enter Marathon Makeover, a 40-week, marathon-training, wellness program to help inspire new runners across the country. Marathon Makeover has training teams across the United States like Oregon, Mississippi, Tennessee and Texas. Recently, the company announced its new online program led by Ada Wong, fan favorite from The Biggest Loser season 10. Wong will help inspire ordinary runners at all levels to train for and finish marathons and half-marathons.
When Wong was young, her parents ridiculed her for being “fat,” leaving her without a lot of support or encouragement from her loved ones. However, Ada’s ambition and achievements led her to earn a coveted position with Google with access to free breakfast, lunch and dinner from her choice of 17 cafes, which led her to make unhealthy food choices.
There are over fifty marathons scheduled across the country in the month of April. If you are having trouble choosing which one is right for you, here is our list of the top marathons in April.
- Running Fit Martian Marathon: This race takes place in Novi, Michigan on April 2, 2011. Along with the marathon, a marathon relay, half marathon, 10k, and 5k are also available for registration. Hurry and sign up now before prices go up!
March is a great time of year to run outdoors due to the beautiful spring season. Below are the top marathons around the country in the amazing month of March!
Top Marathons In March:
- Red Rock Canyon Marathon and Half Marathon: Held in amazing Las Vegas, Nevada on March 5, 2011, this race takes place in one of the most beautiful locations in the nation, Red Rock Canyon. Hurry and register now before the fees go up.
- Los Angeles Marathon: This marathon is held in the one and only Los Angeles, California on March 20, 2011. I was there last year for this race and it is one that you can’t afford to miss. Either come out and run or come out and support all the participants. Always a good time no matter what.
Why should you schedule a marathon in the month of February? I’ll give you a couple of reasons: 1. It gives you something to train for, 2. It gives you something to look forward to, and 3. It helps you stay on track and focused during the craziness of the holidays.
Check out the top marathons in February below!
- Critz Tybee Marathon: This marathon is the first one scheduled in the month of February and what a great way to begin the month. It is held in Tybee Island, Georgia on February 5, 2011.
- Surf City Marathon: The Surfcity Marathon is held in Huntington Beach, California on Sunday February 6, 2011. Huntington Beach is one of my favorite beaches in California and it is a perfect spot for a marathon. There’s nothing better than running by the ocean- so come out and run or come out just to enjoy the scenery. (more…)
December is rapidly approaching and it is now time to register for your winter marathon. Below is a list of the best marathons around the country that may spark your interest!
- Death Valley Trail Marathon: This race takes place in Death Valley, California and what a name for a marathon. Act fast: Because it’s one of the best routes in California and the registration is limited to only 300 participants, those spots will go quickly. Registration dues are $120. Visit www.envirosports.com for more information.
- Zappos.com Las Vegas Marathon: This marathon is held in Las Vegas, Nevada on December 5, 2010. The cost is $145 and includes a t-shirt, gift bag, finishers medal and certificate, and live course entertainment. Hurry and register before it’s too late: registration ends November 28, 2o10. For more details, visit http://www.rnrvegas.com.