A couple of companies making money off of bogus weight loss claims with tea diet products were hit with hefty fines by the Federal Trade Commission (FTC).
A Connecticut federal judge has ordered Bronson Partners (dba New England Diet Center and Bronson Day Spa) and Martin Howard to pay $2 million to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission and granted the FTC’s request to prohibit the company from continuing to sell its products. They are based in Westport, Connecticut.
The complaint against Bronson Partners and Martin Howard was part of the FTC’s Big Fat Lie campaign, that has targeted companies it believes are deceptively marketing weight loss products. (more…)
As a very weight-absorbed culture, we are always looking for the latest, greatest and quickest way to shed some pounds. There is no shortage of weight loss products on the market today. From hoodia to green tea, the new wave of weight loss products come from nature rather than being manufactured in a sterile lab by a team of white-coated researchers.
One such product that has been picking up steam is Caralluma Fimbriata. While hoodia hails from Africa, Caralluma grows in India. In fact, it shares a lot of similarities to hoodia such as also being a succulent-based plant and it has been eaten as a vegetable by natives for hundreds of years to stave off hunger on long journeys or through bouts of food shortages.
How Does it Work?
Caralluma is believed to work its magic by blocking the opportunity for fat cells to form and forcing fat stores to be used as primary fuel. It is also believed to act on the brain, particularly, the part of the brain that controls hunger. Caralluma acts like an “off” switch telling our brains that we’re full even if we’re not. Therefore, fewer calories will be consumed and the pounds will start to come off, or so it is hoped. (more…)
It’s no new news that as a nation, our waistlines are growing. Researchers have been scratching their heads for years now, trying to find out why. New research on caffeine and diabetes may be a clue into the obesity epidemic. Turns out that caffeine raises glucose levels in diabetics; furthermore, insulin resistance and moderating blood glucose levels are becoming two of the major indicators for weight loss success. Could it be that your daily latte is the culprit in an expanding waistline? Read for yourself here.
When I was a weight loss counselor with Jenny Craig, I would sometimes have a client who would seem to be doing everything right, but still not losing weight. Sometimes, as a last ditch effort, I would have them switch from coffee to tea, and voila! Weight loss would resume. Was the difference the caffeine consumption? Tea tends to be made “by the cup” while coffee is made, and consumed, by the pot. It’s an interesting hypothesis. Time for a cup of tea!
Hoodia still seems to be the latest “it girl” in the world of diet supplements. From what I have been able to determine through hours of research is the following:
1. Make sure that the manufacturer of the Hoodia product reveals all ingredients. There is some speculation that Hoodia is most effective when taken on its own, so it is important to know what you are taking. Especially if the product is combined with a thermogenic product like green tea.
2. Look for a producer that specifies Hoodia sourced from the stem, and not the root, which is a cheap and ineffective filler for unscrupulous Hoodia makers.
3. If buying online, look for a stamp, or a seal, that shows the Hoodia has been “certified authentic”. One of the main certifiers goes by the acronym C.I.T.I.E.S., and seems to have the most respect of supplement reviewers at this time.
4. Beware of online “free trial” offers that lock you into an auto-ship program. Some of these have been reported as very difficult to get out of, with the shipper continually re-billing and re-shipping, even though you have asked them to stop.
5. Look for a minimum strength level of 750 mg. As long as the Hoodia meets criteria #1, you should see immediate results with this product in appetite suppression and mood enhancement.
If you are looking for an all-natural way to combat cravings and late-night snacking, Hoodia may be just the thing. Is it working for you? Let us know!
I know- you’ve got 101 diet tips being thrown at you everyday. So ten more couldn’t hurt, right? This list at People Magazine exposes the top ten ways stars are losing weight.
- Drink more water
- Eat more fish for the Omega-3 Fatty Acids
- Add a splash of apple cider vinegar
- Eat smaller meals all day long, instead of three big meals, like Katherine Heigl on the Five Factor Diet
- Cut out alcohol, or strictly limit it
- Go vegetarian, or just fill up your plate with plenty of brightly colored veggies
- A cup of green tea creates three healthy habits all at the same time, says Gwyneth Paltrow
- Quench your sweet tooth with sugar-free snacks
- Workout your brain and body with Budokon- a yoga/martial arts activity you can do with your Friends Jennifer Aniston and Courtney Cox
- Treat yourself to a spa day
Once you’ve included all of these healthy habits into your daily routine, check out how your weight compares to these fit-n-trim stars with the Celebrity BMI Calculator.