Well, 2011 is here at last and is your fitness level where it needs to be? 2011 brings us new and improved ways to get in shape and build your fitness habit. Check below for the top fitness trends of 2011 to watch for!
Piloxing: Piloxing is a hybrid workout that combines the benefits of Pilates with boxing. Pilates offers relaxed movements that tone and strengthen the body as a whole while cardio-boxing adds intensity and sharp movements to increase the heart rate and burn fat at a rapid pace. Check your local gym for classes.
Kangoo Jumps: This trend transformed the pogo stick into pogo shoes. You can jump in your shoes while taking a Kangoo class, or tone and improve your balance while walking or jogging. They are a fun and enjoyable way to add a twist to your current routine.
Are you currently in the process of looking for a personal trainer? Finding the RIGHT personal trainer is not an easy task and I strongly recommend not settling with one that doesn’t meet your standards. Below is a list of qualifications and things that your personal trainer should know. Good luck and train hard!
10 Things Your Personal Trainer Should Know:
- Education: Your trainer needs to be well educated; either a nationally recognized personal training certification or health and fitness related degree (exercise science or kinesiology). Be sure to ask your trainer if he/she has these credentials.
- Anatomy: Every great personal trainer should be able to name any muscle in the body and be able to tell you the function of that muscle.
- Proper form and technique: Your trainer absolutely has to know the proper form and technique of every single lift or exercise. This is crucial for your over-all well-being and safety. If you feel your form is wrong, be sure to ask and maybe even get a second opinion (ask another trainer) just to be sure. (more…)
There are over fifty marathons scheduled across the country in the month of April. If you are having trouble choosing which one is right for you, here is our list of the top marathons in April.
- Running Fit Martian Marathon: This race takes place in Novi, Michigan on April 2, 2011. Along with the marathon, a marathon relay, half marathon, 10k, and 5k are also available for registration. Hurry and sign up now before prices go up!
2011 is finally here! If you are like most Americans, your resolution for the New Year is to lose weight. Well, what are you waiting for?
Below is a workout that targets the entire body while keeping the heart rate up. By keeping the heart rate elevated, your body will burn more calories and you will see results faster.
The goal of the exercise routine is to continually move from one exercise to the other without stopping. This style of exercise is a form of circuit training, but you will be doing multiple sets grouped together, which are called super sets. For example: the first exercises are a seated row and squat jumps grouped together. Preform 10-20 reps of rows, then 10-20 squat jumps and repeat, then move to the next group of two exercises: the prone leg curl and push-up combination. The goal is to perform two or three sets of ten to twenty repetitions without stopping, except for water, of course.
March is a great time of year to run outdoors due to the beautiful spring season. Below are the top marathons around the country in the amazing month of March!
Top Marathons In March:
- Red Rock Canyon Marathon and Half Marathon: Held in amazing Las Vegas, Nevada on March 5, 2011, this race takes place in one of the most beautiful locations in the nation, Red Rock Canyon. Hurry and register now before the fees go up.
- Los Angeles Marathon: This marathon is held in the one and only Los Angeles, California on March 20, 2011. I was there last year for this race and it is one that you can’t afford to miss. Either come out and run or come out and support all the participants. Always a good time no matter what.
Beginning the gym process is often scary for most people- they fear the unknown. Don’t let the thought of joining a gym for the first time scare you. Everything will be alright and you will soon feel that you a part of a gym family.
Finding the right gym is often the toughest part. You definitely need to take in to account the distance you will be traveling, whether or not the gym has the right equipment (weights, day-care, fitness classes, etc.) to help you meet your needs, and reasonable memberships rates. The next step is to familiarize yourself with the workout process. Beginning a new fitness routine is rather challenging and often hazardous to the body if you’re not completely careful. I recommend contacting a fitness expert with questions or help with setting up a new fitness routine. Recent studies show that beginner gym “go-ers” are more likely to injure themselves compared to the entire gym population. Below is a list of injuries that you need to be aware of so you can be sure to steer clear of them.
Below is a list of the top ten foods that you shouldn’t eat, especially if you exercise consistently every day.
Each food below is known to hinder the results of exercise. Most of the foods below will make you feel sluggish, fat, and will reduce your overall energy levels throughout the course of your exercise routines. Food for thought!
Back exercises are often over-looked due to the popularity of abdominal exercises. Below is a list of back exercises that can be performed at home or anywhere that you feel inclined to exercise. The exercises mainly target the lower back, but also help improve core stability, balance, and coordination.
Core stability is defined as the ability of the muscles of the trunk to stabilize the spine during movement. Dozens of muscles help stabilize the core and most are isolated in the exercises below. Balance is defined as the state of equilibrium and the following exercises help improve the strength and endurance levels of your muscles that help make balance possible. Coordination is defined as the skillful and effective interaction of movements. In order to maximize coordination, you must challenge the body by performing coordination based exercises and movements that allow the body to work and move more efficiently. Each exercise below targets a slightly different part of the back and helps improve coordination.
Diet season is here and why not start it off with a bang? Below are the top ten diet tips that will help you be successful in 2011. Good luck and enjoy the new you!
Keep hydrated: Drinking plenty of water is not only vital for normal body functioning, but it helps keep cravings to a minimum.
Add to diet, don’t take away: Try adding the recommended servings of each food group to your diet instead of cutting calories. The ability to maintain a diet is crucial for the long-term weight loss process.
Limit night-time snacks: Make good choices about late night snacking. Obviously, cookies and a large glass of milk is not the way to go. If you do have a late-night craving, snack on a low fat, low calorie food like a piece of fruit.