Maruchy Lachance is president of Running Ninja!, a lifestyle brand for runners by runners. Running Ninja! offers a wide variety of apparel and gifts for runners to keep you happy and inspired while you’re on the run.
When it comes to health and fitness it is all about “you are what you eat.” But this common and wise expression should include “you are what you think.”
As the new year approaches and resolutions are made we become a bit more anxious to begin life-changing routines that will improve our lives. Often this promise is about weight loss and body sculpting. We stand in front of the mirror at a dressing room or in our bathroom and determine that we are hideous and grotesque and we must change right now. Or, we are trim but not fit or fit but not trim. Our general dissatisfaction with our appearance sends us into a panic that eventually ends with us attempting to motivate ourselves by bullying and belittling.
Aside from caloric intake and exercise, the single most important ingredient to a successful healthy lifestyle should be the dialog you have with yourself.
- Do not attempt to motivate yourself to lose weight by telling yourself that you are fat. Remind yourself that you deserve a healthy and strong body.
- Do not sabotage your diet by telling yourself that you are too busy, tired and overworked to follow your healthy routine. Remind yourself that there is always a healthy alternative to snacking and eating on-the-go and you are worth taking the time to seek it out and enjoy it.
- Do not beat yourself up when you encounter a setback and deem yourself a failure. Remind yourself that straying from your health and fitness routine is normal and that your true success comes from getting back on track.
- Do not aspire to look like anyone else. Remind yourself that your body is uniquely yours and your main goal to be the best you that you can be.
- Do not set yourself up for failure. Remind yourself that you have all the tools necessary to succeed and plan accordingly. Work with your real life and real schedule and fail-proof your eating and fitness routine.
Be kind to yourself and be your biggest cheerleader. And take the time to whisper to yourself constantly: “You are AWESOME!”
For more fitness inspiration from Maruchy Lachance check out:
Guest Blog Series: Look for the following badge on your favorite health sites to see if they have been a featured guest blogger on DietsInReview.com. See other posts in the Guest Blog series.
If you would like to apply to be featured as a guest blogger, please contact us.
November 14th, 2010