Staying active during the holidays is a tough and the sedentary days take a toll on the body. The all-too-rare family time, smorgasbord of delicious eats, frigid weather (in most states), and, of course, football all make fitting activity into the holiday season that much more difficult. Getting to the gym is pretty much out of the question for most people due to the lack of time and crazy weather conditions. Below are a few ways to help keep you up on your feet and active during the holidays.
- Plan a family trip somewhere everyone can find something to do outside, whether it be a warm location or cold one. Skiing, sledding, and snowball fights are all great ways to stay active in the cold weather.
- Limit the time spent in front of the television.
- Plan activities throughout the day. Getting activity before and after meals will help digest all the food.
- Provide healthy snacks throughout the day to help prevent over-eating during the meals.
- If you are traveling, look for hotels with fitness centers.
- Plan a daily in-home workout session for everyone. This is a great way to bond with your family.
- Go for a walk in the local shopping mall if it’s cold or outside if the weather is tolerable.
- Buy fitness related gifts for everyone that can be used at home.
- Take the stairs whenever possible.
- If you are driving somewhere, park as far away as you can and walk the rest- but watch out for ice!
- Plan family game nights with active games outside, like tag, touch football, or snowball fights.
What’s your family’s favorite way to stay active during the holidays?