Monday has never looked better, nor more delicious, than it does when it hosts National Guacamole Day. It’s pretty much one of our favorite foods on everyone’s least favorite day, so things equalize and Monday is pretty manageable from here.
It should be a quintessential part of everyone’s diet because it’s actually a healthy food, as in, seriously good for you.
1. It’s chock full of healthy monounsaturated fats. There’s a whopping 15 grams in just one half of the avocado.
2. It tastes amazing by itself and on everything it touches.
3. Guac is the uber condiment. You can use it to replace fatty options like mayo, sour cream, ranch dressing, and more.
4. There’s no right or wrong way to make it, which we demonstrate in Eva Longoria’s Chunky Guacamole made with lemons, Jillian Michaels’ Guacamole made with cumin, and this version made with Greek yogurt.
5. Say cilantro! Any guacamole worth its coarse salt is loaded with this herb. Not only does it taste so fresh, but it can relieve menstrual cramps, lower blood sugar, and even relieve gas and nausea.
6. Better than butter, try swapping your usual spread for a schmear of guacamole. It packs a lot more flavor and it’s better for you.
7. Jalapenos can rev your metabolism. Chop those tiny peppers for a virtually calorie-free flavor punch, but know the spicy vegetable has been linked with burning body fat.
8. Get a dose of vitamin C, as jalapenos and avocados are both a rich source of this vital nutrient.
9. It’s like an instant party. You’ll have no problem bringing people together when you present a bowl of guacamole.
10. It’s fun to say!
11. It’s ridiculous how easy it is to make. With often no more than five ingredients, you can mash up a bowl of guac almost as fast as you can say it.
12. There’s an antibiotic benefit in the citrus, so drench your guac in fresh lime or lemon juice.
13. Tomatoes are a super food and offer an incredible amount of benefits, so be sure to dice at least one in your guac.
14. There’s no wrong way to scoop. We prefer blue corn tortilla chips, but veggie sticks and crudite are fair game, too.
15. It can be a stand alone meal, with enough fiber and protein to fill and sustain you.
September 16th, 2013