We’ve heard about the incredible weight loss celebrities enjoy after a stint on ABC’s Dancing With the Stars. Did any of them really ever have that much weight to lose? Well, now there’s a new dance-off show where people who do stand to lose some weight will have their chance. Monday, June 29, Dance Your Ass Off, or DYAO, will premiere on the Oxygen network, a high-energy show helping people achieve their dance floor dreams while fitting into a smaller dance uniform.
DYAO is hosted by Marissa Jaret Winokur, best known as Tracy Turnblad in Broadway’s hit musical Hairspray, who will serve as an energetic and positive leader for the 12 contestants ready to move it ’til they lose it.
The show follows the model of similar shows, by doing weekly weigh-ins like NBC’s Biggest Loser and pairing contestants with professional dancers like DWTS. And while regaining their health is the ultimate prize, the winner will receive a $100,000 cash prize. Each week the contestants will work out with trainers, monitor their health with Dr. Huizenga from Biggest Loser, and then perform a dance routine for the judges.
The 12 contestants, competing to lose nearly 3,000 pounds, are:
- Alicia – A 23-year-old raised in an Italian and Chilean family.
- Angela – A 24-year-old with a life-long love of dance.
- Brandon – A 20-year-old aspiring R&B star.
- Karla – This 29-year-old comedian loves all kinds of music.
- Mara – She’s a 32-year-old newly diagnosed diabetic ready to turn things around.
- Miles – Is a 29-year-old U.S. Coast Guard veteran.
- Pinky – This 29-year-old life-long dancer wants to keep up with her dance crew brothers.
- Ruben – This 43-year-old is the head of wardrobe for Cirque du Soleil.
- Shayla – She’s a 27-year-old high school advisor trying to regain her former athletic body.
- Tara – The 33-year-old mom wants to be a healthy example for her children.
- Trice – This 24-year-old isn’t going to let weight keep her from her dreams of dancing any longer.
- Warren – He’s a 29-year-old nurse who’s not taking “fat” comments any more.