Maruchy Lachance is president of Running Ninja!, a lifestyle brand for runners by runners. Running Ninja! offers a wide variety of apparel and gifts for runners to keep you happy and inspired while you’re on the run.
For many of us, summer is one of the toughest times to stay focused on our healthy eating and fitness routine. Over the summer we are oftentimes entertaining our vacationing children or traveling. We’re also contending with the blisteringly warm outdoor temperatures and the ever-increasing temptation for cooling caloric drinks and fast foods.
For a few years now I have been able to remain on-track in spite of all the hurdles by applying these easy and common sense tricks:
- Early morning workouts. Whether you are driving to the gym or hitting the open road on foot or bicycle, doing it in the early morning hours will keep you cooler. By getting your workout out of the way first thing in the morning you give yourself the needed energy and head start to tackle all the challenges of the day.
- Hydrate! Keeping your body hydrated is more important than ever when the temps are at their highest. While it’s simple to justify drinking any cool liquid to cool off, take the time to plan and pack cold water, seltzers and low calorie juices. Fight the tempting sugary sodas by mixing equal parts of sparkling water with a low-calorie juice. You will enjoy a bubbly and tasty cool drink that even the kids will enjoy.
- Planning will save you money, time and calories! Whether you are taking the kids out to the zoo or embarking on a road trip to an amusement park remember, that little bit of planning will keep you from sabotaging your healthy food choices. Avoid the fast food trap by packing a cooler filled with fun and wholesome foods and snacks.
- Frozen fruits can be cooling and delicious. Grapes, blueberries and pineapple cubes can be served alone or with a dollop of Greek yogurt sweetened with a tiny bit of honey.
- Wrap it! Fresh sliced lean meats or fish can be made into wraps using low calorie cheese, hummus spread and lettuce. If you want a vegetarian option replace the meat with tabouleh.
There are endless healthy options that will leave you feeling full and energized to enjoy all of your summer day! Stay frosty.
For more inspiration from Maruchy Lachance check out:
If you would like to apply to be featured as a guest blogger, please contact us.