Happy Cinco de Mayo! Do yourself a favor- don’t sit back and watch everyone else have all the fun today just because you’re on a diet. Be sure to make a healthier choice than babysitting the queso bowl or going for thirds on fried tacos and sopapillas. Try one of the many recipes that offer lower calories, fat, and carbs for many Mexican food favorites.
These are the top Cinco de Mayo recipe picks at DietsInReview.com.
Margarita Chicken – with 1g Carbs, 1g Fat, and 128 calories
Chicken and Red Chili Tamales – No guilt here, just 9g Protein, low calories and low fat.
Fajita Breakfast Burritos – Only 5g of Carbs!
2 tsp. red wine vinegar
2 tsp. reduced-sodium soy sauce
5 oz. ground breakfast turkey sausage (or chicken if desired)
1/8 cup onion, diced
1/4 cup green pepper, cut into strips
Dash of cumin
Dash of garlic powder
4 medium eggs
1/8 cup light cream
1/4 cup reduced-fat cheddar cheese
1/4 cup fat-free sour cream
4 Tbsp. salsa
1. In skillet, heat vinegar and soy sauce
2. Add chicken, onions and green peppers
3. Season to taste with cumin and garlic powder
4. Let cook for 3-4 minutes
5. Combine eggs and cream
6. In another skillet, cook half of egg mixture
7. Tilt pan to distribute evenly across pan
8. Let one side set and carefully turn over
9. Repeat with remaining egg mixture
10. Divide ingredients between both egg “tortillas”
11. Top with sour cream and salsa
May 5th, 2008