There are some foods that are better enjoyed at a restaurant. Parfaits are not one of them. They’re often way too sweet, more so than is necessary. A breakfast parfait should be light, subtly sweet, and filling. And that’s exactly what we’ve created.
Forget what you know about yogurt parfaits and follow along closely. Here, the yogurt is a garnish and homemade “ice cream” takes center stage. See, when you freeze bananas and blend them, the texture is eerily similar to ice cream. When you add a little vanilla, you’d be hard pressed to recognize the difference.
This nearly dairy-free parfait is incredibly healthy, very fun to make, and can be customized to each person’s taste. The only catch to this ridiculously healthy morning dessert is that you need to do a little prep the night before.
This isn’t complicated; in fact it makes a great kids in the kitchen moment! Peel the bananas, slice, put in a freezer bag, and freeze over night. Soften the bananas a bit the next day and you’ll wonder why you haven’t been making this all along.
– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
Banana Ice Cream Breakfast Parfaits
serves 4; 230 calories
4 oz. raspberries
1/2 cup granola
4 Tbsp. Greek yogurt
4 Tbsp. honey chocolate sauce
1. Chop the bananas into about one-inch segments. Place flat in a sealable baggy and freeze over night.
2. Remove the bag from the freezer and let the bananas soften before adding to a food processor or blender. Mix on high for about 5 minutes until it turns in to a creamy, ice cream-like texture.
3. In four bowls or glasses, divide the banana ice cream.
4. Top each bowl with 1 oz. raspberries, 2 Tbsp. granola, 1 Tbsp. Greek yogurt, and 1 Tbsp. of our homemade chocolate sauce.
5. Serve immediately and enjoy.
ALSO TRY THIS:
photos by Dana Shultz for DietsInReview.com
March 31st, 2014