By Rebecca Scritchfield, RD a nutrition expert based in Washington, D.C. www.rebeccascritchfield.com.
March is National Nutrition Month and we are eating our way through the rainbow-ROYGBIV style. Todayâ€™s color is Yellow! What makes these foods the color of the sun? The bright yellow color shows you these yellow foods are loaded with vitamins and minerals. The bright yellow color in fruits and vegetables comes from flavonoids, beta-carotene, and vitamin C, which helps prevent against aging, cancer and build overall health!
Make sure to color your plate with these yellow foods!
- Mix with salsa and black beans for a more substantial party snack.
- Next time you heat up the grill, make Spicy Grilled Corn Cobs.
- Corn is delicious on all salads, but this Roasted Corn, Black Bean and Mango salad is especially delicious!
- Make baked French fries.
- Go international and make an Indian curry with potatoes, chickpeas and peas!
- Roast with olive oil and fresh rosemary and serve as a side dish.
Yellow Bell Peppers
- Slice into a salad for a bright burst of color against your solid green background.
- Get a double dose of yellow with this spicy yellow bell pepper soup that also includes Yukon gold potatoes.
- When making a seasonal vegetable roast toss in a yellow bell pepper!
- Swap out soda or sugary lemonade with a simple lemon-infused water.
- Zest it into your oatmeal and add blueberries.
- Add lemon juice and roasted chili flakes to cauliflower and roast for 20 minutes!
Bananas: Loaded with potassium these are a great sweet treat!
- Slice into cereal or oatmeal in the morning!
- Toss it in your purse for a mid-afternoon snack. Worried about bruising? Protect your banana with this case!
- Dip in melted chocolate and freeze for a sweet, healthy dessert!
How will you color your plate with yellow today?
If you would like to apply to be featured as a guest blogger, please contact us.
March 16th, 2011