Of all of the fast-food chains, I would not have picked KFC to be a place that would have multiple options for people looking for a healthy meal on the go. But, to my surprise, KFC does have some healthy choices! Granted, you obviously can’t order the KFC Double Down or any sandwich or bowl from there, for that matter, but you can pair some things together for a meal that has less than 500 calories and less than 500 milligrams of sodium. This healthy criteria is based on feedback from registered dietitian Rebecca Scritchfield and the new daily sodium recommendations.
To find your perfect healthy KFC meal, pair one chicken option from the list below with one of the sides also listed below. Happy healthy-meal mix-and-matching!
Healthy Chicken Options
- Original Recipe Whole Wing (120 calories, 380 milligrams sodium)
- Original Recipe Drumstick (120 calories, 310 milligrams sodium)
- Grilled Chicken Whole Wing (80 calories, 250 milligrams sodium)
- Grilled Chicken Drumstick (80 calories, 230 milligrams sodium)
- Two Hot Wings (140 calories, 280 milligrams sodium)
Healthy Side Options
- Cole Slaw (180 calories, 150 milligrams sodium)
- Light String Cheese (50 calories, 160 milligrams sodium)
- Caesar Side Salad Without Croutons or Dressing (40 calories, 90 milligrams of sodium)
- Side Salad Without Dressing (15 calories, 10 milligrams of sodium)
For the side salad options, be sure to bring a low-sodium dressing from home or just use a little olive oil and balsamic vinegar! Like me, does this change your perception about KFC and its healthy options a little?