Jenna Edmiston loves spending time in the kitchen with her six year old daughter creating healthy, wholesome meals. In between balancing family, work and her personal life, she tries to keep a healthy lifestyle with an open mind and heart. Head over to petitfoodie.com where she shares her thoughts on food, body image and children.
The New Year is finally here. With it came the extra pounds added during the holidays and freezing temperatures. I don’t know about you but I’m craving healthy, warm foods. Comforting foods don’t mean sacrificing your favorite pair of skinny jeans.
Here are a few of my very favorite tips I live by during the dreary days of winter:
- Starbucks can be addictive. Think of the high-calorie drinks as a special treat and only get them once a week. Always ask for skim milk. Your waist line and wallet with both thank you.
- When you are craving a fabulous warm drink, try drinking a huge mug of warm lemon water. Most of the time your craving will pass and you will feel energized.
- I crave mashed potatoes on the regular. Instead of making them with heavy cream and butter try adding chicken or veggie broth. This will enhance the flavor making them creamy and rich without the extra calories.
- Soups don’t have to be cream laden. The best soups can be made with fresh veggies and broth.
- Making a big batch of soup on the weekends is perfect for all you busy folks out there. The left overs only get better with time and make for great lunches.
- Serve a small salad at dinner every night. EVERY NIGHT. Don’t make excuses ….just do it.
- Embrace winters citrus fruits. Oranges and clementines are to die for right now. They are as sweet as apple pie. Is there anything more refreshing, really?
Citrus Winter Salad
Divide greens on four plates.
Garnish with grapefruit, apple slices and sliced almonds.
On each plate drizzle with honey and olive oil.
When all is said and done don’t worry so much about dieting. Just eat real food and enjoy everything the winter season has to offer. You will feel much better and have some wonderful memories to carry with you.
If you would like to apply to be featured as a guest blogger, please contact us.