Grabbing a snack is a great way to keep hunger at bay, but what you pick can make a big difference to your waistline. Celebrity trainer Jillian Michaels reveals her favorite snacks for an afternoon pick-me-up or mid-morning nibble. “These snacks are quick, easy and they all taste good,” says Michaels. “They’re preservative-free, contain no trans fats, MSG, high fructose corn syrup, artificial flavors, colors or sweeteners.”
- Hard-boiled egg and a piece of fruit. Fruit is a great source of vitamins and fiber, while the egg offers protein and healthy fat.
- Veggies and hummus. “This is an incredibly healthy snack that’s filling and tasty,” Michaels says. That’s because the fiber from the vegetables and the protein in the chickpeas both promote fullness. If you’re worried about the preservatives and sodium in some store-bought brands of hummus, check out our katamata olive hummus recipe!
- 22 Days Protein Bars. All 22 Days products are vegan and organic, and the bars feature hemp protein. “These bars taste amazing! Mocha Mantra is my favorite flavor,” add Michaels.
- Popchips. Michaels’ favorites are the barbecue and sweet potato flavors, and loves that they have a “great savory, salty crunch.” We like that Popchips come in portion-controlled bags with just 100 calories.
- Ciao Bella Sorbet. Some days, only something sweet will do. Skip candy or full-fat ice cream and reach for this all-natural frozen treat.
Which of these snacks are you most likely to reach for?