Thanks to 2BFitN10 for sharing this recipe for turkey feta burgers. This is one of those examples where healthy foods have so much more flavor than their junkier counterparts.
One of the reasons I started menu planning (which coincided perfectly with this challenge!) is that I was getting bored with preparing the same things for dinner. I wanted to add some variety to my family’s meals.
I try to use ground turkey instead of ground beef when I cook. This has become one of my favorite recipes to make. It uses feta cheese, which I adore! The mint sauce (you can also use greek yogurt) adds a really nice flavor and contrast to the feta. I have made it without the cucumber and it still turns out great.
Turkey Feta Burgers
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 6 tablespoons (1 1/2 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
- Cooking spray
- 1/4 cup grated cucumber
- 1/4 cup plain fat-free yogurt
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
- 4 (1/4-inch-thick) slices tomato
- 4 green leaf lettuce leaves
- 4 (2-ounce) Kaiser rolls or hamburger buns
- Combine first 6 ingredients. Divide mixture into four portions. Indent center of each portion; place 1 1/2 tablespoons feta into each. Fold turkey mixture around cheese; shape each portion into a 1/2-inch-thick patty.
- Heat grill pan over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add patties; cook 5 minutes on each side.
- Combine cucumber, yogurt, and mint in a small bowl. Arrange 1 turkey patty, 1 tomato slice, 1 lettuce leaf, and 2 tablespoons yogurt mixture on bottom half of each roll. Top with top halves of rolls.