Editorial InternEmail Elizabeth
Liz Simmons is a fun-loving, stubbornly positive person who will try just about anything once. She's not much of a gym person (though she'll go if you ask nicely) and would rather be swimming or practicing yoga. She also has a competitive spirit and will never say no to a game of sand volleyball.
Fairly new to living on her own, she considers her kitchen to be a bit of an unexplored frontier. Currently, her best dishes are tacos and...tacos.
When not embarking on culinary adventures, Liz loves reading the many books on her shelves. She feels that her love of reading led to her love of writing which led to recently earning her B.A. in Communication from Wichita State University. As a new college graduate, Liz is looking forward to whatever her life may bring next!
Fun Facts About Liz
- I Never Leave Home Without checking my Facebook, Twitter and email
- Where I'd Rather Be in the mountains outside of Boulder, CO
- My Bragging Rights My cookie baking and decorating skills
- Personal Fun Fact I play the alto sax
- Refrigerator Staple Yogurt and Applesauce
- My Favorite Healthy Food Dried fruit, especially pineapple
- My Guiltiest Pleasure Nutella straight out of the jar
- Song That Gets Me Going in the Gym "Run the World (Girls)" by Beyonce
- Favorite Gym Activity Swimming Laps
- Movie Seen Too Many Times to Count Beauty and the Beast
- The Book I'd Read Again Wicked by Gregory Maguire
- First Paid Gig Working in the concession stand at a waterpark Accomplishment Most Proud of Graduating college!
Childhood obesity is an epidemic. It is being seen in kids and adolescents three times as often as it was in the 1970s. Primary care physicians are reporting seeing more children who are obese than ever before. According to Dr. Garry Sigman, director of Loyola University Health System’s Pediatric Weight Management Program, the cause of [...]
Losing weight may be as simple as taking a dietary supplement according to Skinny Body Care. Their product, Skinny Fiber Pills, are advertised as an all-natural weight loss solution. Dieters are told to take two of the pills 30 minutes before lunch and dinner with a glass of water. Once the pills are taken, the water-soluble fiber they [...]
Tuesday, New Jersey governor Chris Christie admitted to secretly undergoing weight-loss surgery in February. The news of his surgery surprised many because Governor Christie has a history of defending his weight, including making fun of it himself on the CBS Late Show and Saturday Night Live’s Weekend Update. He also infamously told a former White House doctor to “shut up” [...]
With the United States’ Hispanic population growing in number, it is becoming increasingly important to focus on the health and well-being of that community. Obesity is an epidemic concerning all Americans, but it is an especially concerning one for Hispanics and Mexican Americans who collectively have an obesity rate of about 40%, according to the [...]
Many people view weight loss surgery as the last-chance solution to obesity. Those who have a BMI of 40 or higher were the only ones eligible for bariatric surgery. That has changed with the release of new guidelines. Now, those with a BMI between 30 and 34.9, those who are considered mildly or moderately obese, [...]